A Chat with: Emily Kirby

November 23, 2016

Hey Gang!

 I'm so excited to bring you an interview not only with one of my best friends,  but an amazing fantasy Author! Today, we got to sit down with Emily Kirby, creator of the Scribe of the Codex series, and figure out what makes her tick.

Tell us a little bit about Yourself.

 I'm a hardcore nerd belonging to several fandoms: such as Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Digimon, Sherlock Holmes, and most Magical Girl Anime. My imagination is probably my greatest talent, and I have a morbid sense of humor about me. One of the things I have discovered about myself through writing, is just how spiritual I am. In ways, writing is one of the ways I communicate with God and He with me. I never started out trying to write that, but it always shows up.

Why do you write? 

 I write mostly because it keeps my sane and happy. I can't imagine myself never being able to write. It's very similar to breathing to me. I want to create stories that help people in their lowest times, just like all my favorite books did for me. My biggest dream is to have someone come up to me and say that my books changed their world.


Your stories surround such unique concepts, such as a scribe for the goddess of horror, How do you come up with this stuff? 

A lot of my character concepts are just me wanting to see different kinds of characters do stuff. In many ways it answers the question, Who would I want to read about? I have to say though that Scribe characters are rather special to me, since I often have arguments with my own muse, when I'm stuck, or she gives me a new idea when I'm working on another project. It's one of the reasons I have three on-going book series that take place in the same universe, even though that is a very insane idea.

Walk us through a typical day. 

 My typical day is spent 1/3 looking for a steady paying job, so I'm not a starving artist, 1/3 pre-writing and getting ideas, and 1/3 actually writing a book. Sometimes the amount of time shifts between those things if I'm on a roll, I can spend the whole day doing nothing but writing.

Tell us a little bit about your latest book. 

 The Silver Codex is in the style of a horror anthology with different stories from different people in one novel, but readers shouldn't get comfortable with that. As the series continues, changers will come to all the characters and things will be shaken up. I hope the readers will be shocked by some of the twists and turns. Xarissa's journey is very much like mine, when it comes to horror.
 We both started out as Scaredy Cats, but over time we have grown to a point where we are no longer scared, but actually enjoy the genre. There is going to be a lot more diving into the town's past. A lot of the relationships and ties forming will continue in the other books, and that will lead friends, families and even the town into becoming more loving and stronger together.

How do you turn around a bad day?

 I talk to my friends who always seem to know how to cheer me up. I also watch Lupin the Third a lot, and I have a huge list of song that lift me up when I listen to them. 
What do you do when you aren't writing? 
 I read a lot, and go walking often. I also try to vlog regularly for my youtube channel.

If you could live in a fictional world, where would you choose and why? 

 I think I might like living in the Digimon Universe. I could have my own Digimon friend who would fight evil with me. I'd also like to know what virtue my crest would be, I've never been able to make up my mind. 

What did you want to be when you were younger? 

  When I was young, I wanted to either take over the world, or become a nun. I was a weird kid. 

 You can patronize Emily at the links below:
  




 Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch
 Until Next Time, Stay Nerdy, ~Spokhette!~

Post a Comment

It makes me happy when you guys comment. Please do not hesitate to come say hi!!

Social

Latest Instagrams

Photo On Flickr

About Us

© Nerdette At Large. Design by FCD.