Cinema #29: Devotion of Suspect X

April 19, 2017

Hey Gang!

  About a week ago, Alex and I were trying to figure out how to spend our free Sunday. We'd woken up pretty early, and couldn't go back to sleep. After suggestions, that contained way too much energy such as bowling and mini golf, we decided to go see a movie. AMC Newport is one of our favorite theaters. Moveable armrests, refillable slushie machine, they show oldie's, indie's, foreign film and double features.


 So after discovering that a Chinese Language film had just been released and was being shown nearby, AND it was based off a detective series, of course, I was sold. We arrived a little early, and once the movie started, there were only 5 in the theater not counting us. I'm going to go into more detail about the film in a bit, tell you what I liked and what I didn't, but let me just say this now. GO SEE IT. ABSOLUTELY GO SEE IT! After watching it, on the drive home, I put the Detective Galileo series on hold at my local library, that's how much I enjoyed the movie.


  One of the biggest things I liked about this film was it's sense of logic. Pitting two Mathematicians against each other is already something that is going to interest me. Foreign mystery is also super fascinating to me, not only do they have their own logical reasoning and rules to their detections, but there are also cultural differences that can also be incredibly helpful in solving the case. I'm not saying that American mysteries are lacking, just that Foreign ones, especially Asian, seem to have a zeal that we just don't possess.
  You guys know I'm a sucker for a good one-liner. Professor Chuan has a pretty good one in this. He who thinks, wins. Even though I am nowhere near a fan of mathematics, I can respect that in order to best your opponent, you'd first need to think about your options, after all, a mind in a terrible thing to waste. I absolutely loved the forward thinking that Chuan possessed, and executed throughout the film, flawlessly.


The third and last thing that had me on the edge of my seat about this film, was its twists and turns. So many things happened, that I just did not expect. I was on the edge of my seat, writing down notes, and following every clue I noticed, and even I did not see the final plot twist. The film was written beautifully, and even though I haven't read the novel yet, I have a feeling that it did it justice. The musical score was stunning, and the story pulled at my heartstrings. I'm sure I wasn't the only one tearing up in the theater.
  I'm trying this new thing, where I write about film but don't post spoilers? So I'm hoping that my film posts are still something that you are interested in reading. Please let me know in the comments below. I want to provide quality content, but not everyone is a fan of spoilers, and I realized that even though I write it in the titles, that it may be scaring people away from reading it at all, so if it works for you, please make sure you let me know!


Have you read the Detective Galileo series? Have you seen this film? Let's Chat about it on Twitter!

Until Next Time, Stay Nerdy, ~Spokhette!~

Post a Comment

It makes me happy when you guys comment. Please do not hesitate to come say hi!!

Social

Latest Instagrams

Photo On Flickr

About Us

© Nerdette At Large. Design by FCD.